Friday, 23 May 2014

Coopers Alehouse & Eggless May Menu

Coopers Alehouse

Friday night with friends saw me at Coopers Alehouse in the city for dinner. This long standing bar/pub/restaurant has always been one of those places I've wanted to go but never seem to ever get to, so I was looking forward to finally checking it out. We booked a table for three and when the first two of us arrived we were quickly shown to our seats, given menus and offered drinks. Unusually the waitress cleared the rest of the cutlery even though our booking was for three people and we had to request it to be brought back, we were also approached more times then I remember by the same waitress to see if we wanted to order drinks or food, despite explaining each time we were waiting for someone.  The place was somewhat busy, but not ridiculously so and the venue is on the large side. The vibe is very casual, but I think it is still nice enough for a special occasion meal or gathering. The only downside to the venue was it was rather echoey/noisy which made conversation difficult.  When our third diner arrived we pondered the menu and to start settled on a bread to share, the kilpatrick turkish bread (kilpatrick sauce with bacon, red onions and mozzarella cheese).



This was really delicious, the bread was still crispy and hadn't gone soggy from the toppings, there was a super generous amount of bacon and cheese and the right ratio of sauce to not be overpowering. Definitely worth a try if you dine here.


For mains I ordered the 300gm porterhouse beef schnitzel with the Maui topping (salami, pineapple, jalapenos and grilled cheese) and a side salad to share. The Alehouse is known for it's schnitzels so I kind of had to order one ;) I did ask the waitress if I could substitute the fries with sweet potato fries (they were on the menu as an additional side item) but was told I couldn't, however they could sub for mashed potatoes instead. I found this a little odd, but seeing I didn't feel like fries mashed potato it was. My friend's ordered the 300gm porterhouse schnitzel with Mexicana topping (salsa, guacamole, sour cream and corn chips) and the ultimate wagyu beef burger (two Wagyu beef patties, fried egg, bacon, lettuce, pickles, cheese, tomato, caramelised onions and mayonnaise on a brioche burger bun). We didn't wait too long for food, and all meals were brought out pretty much at the same time, the only hiccup was our salad was forgotten and I had to ask a waitress to follow it up. It was bought out quickly afterwards which was good. 


My schnitzel was amazing, in all honesty I'm not a big fan of them and would rarely order one but this was awesome. The meat was super tender, absolutely no gristly or chewy bits, there was a good amount of golden crumb that wasn't oily or soggy and plenty of topping without being 'too much'. The jalapenos were hot (just how I like them!), the cheese melty and the salami had a really good flavour to it. Despite the toppings this didn't feel heavy at all, I really enjoyed every bite! The mash was also fantastic, super creamy with a great garlic note. Seriously good job by the cook :)


My friend's schnitzel was just as good, so the meat quality was consistent which can sometimes be a let down with schnitzels at pubs. Again a super generous amount of toppings with classic Mexican flavours that were well balanced. The only criticism my friend had was that the nachos had gone a little soggy and that having a bit more of a crunch would have taken this from being a great meal to a fantastic one. The chips were well cooked, golden and crunchy with a soft fluffy centre.



The last meal, the burger was ordered sans tomato and lettuce and with the garlic aioli subbed for mayonnaise and the kitchen delivered as it arrived exactly as requested. The friend who ordered this meal said the meat was juicy, succulent, tender and well cooked, not over done and having a pink/reddish centre. The chips were also great on this meal, same golden crunch and soft centre.


All round great, hearty well executed meals and the best schnitzelI have eaten in a long time so big compliments to the chef. This place is certainly worth a look if you like filling, classic and value for money food (or if you love an amazing schnitzel). Service was a little touch and go, but nothing that would stop me visiting again. I would highly recommend this place for a multitude of dining experiences, and think the quality and range would accommodate a casual gathering with friends right through to a business lunch.


Coopers Alehouse on Urbanspoon



Eggless May Menu


After dinner we headed to Eggless to try some of the May menu offerings. There was a queue when we arrived, nothing unexpected though, and Ken the owner as always was the impeccable host and offered us extra blankets to keep warm while we waited. As soon as a table was free we were shown inside and proceeded to place our order, unfortunately the tasting platter was sold out (we did arrive only an hour or so before closing so no big deal) and so instead we picked three dishes to share between the two of us. W
e started with the apple pie sundae. This was a combination of apple pie ice cream, stewed SA apples, shortcrust pastry & vanilla bean custard. The ice cream was amazing, smooth, creamy and full of chunky apple and pastry pieces whilst the tart holding the ice cream, apples and custard was flakey, golden and sweet. The apples still had a good texture and hadn't been stewed to a soggy mess and the custard was silky and soul warming. A really great, new twist/combination of the traditional apple pie and the sundae!



Next was the tiramisu, Eggless usually do a different flavour every month and this rendition was espresso,  honey mascarpone cream, cocoa & cinnamon dust. As with every version I have tried the cake/sponge layer was super light and fluffy, the cream layer perfectly whipped with no heaviness and the flavour combination was spot on. The pomegranate added an amazing pop of tartness that perfectly complimented the overall flavours of the dish. I think this is this is the closest I've had to a 'classic' tiramisu at Eggless, but they did it so very, very well. The tiramisu here is always so 'refreshing', they really have outdone themselves in perfecting a dessert that is so typically too heavy and rich for my taste.




And finally we finished up with the B52 cheesecake, a Baileys cheesecake with Cointreau cream, Kahula coffee syrup & toasted almonds. Again, I've tried several cheesecakes at Eggless, every single one has been delicious and this flavour didn't disappoint. A clear coffee flavour that didn't overpower the cheesecake, a subtle honey sweetness, an airy mousse like melt in your mouth texture and a golden, sweet crust with just the right amount of give under a fork. I can without reservation say this restaurant does one of my favourite cheesecakes in Adelaide.




And so again Eggless's May offerings not only met but exceeded my expectations. I always leave this place with a big smile, warm heart and full stomach. I have so much respect and admiration for the owners and staff of this restaurant who really are the cornerstones which make this place so perfect.


Eggless on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment