Needing a good feed outside of the CBD to fuel several hours of dancing at the Hot Dub Time Machine Concert my friend and I headed to HypnoTHAIzed at Henley Beach. This restaurant has been open for a few months now and is owned and run by the former chef's of Tounge Thai'd, which for many years was ago to for Thai food post late night work shifts at Bunnings. I rang and booked a table for the 5.30 sitting (they do two sittings a night) as every time I drive past the place is absolutely bursting at the seams full. When we arrived it was very quiet though, quite a few takeaways to start with but it did get much busier as the night progressed.
We were greeted and sat down by the owner of the restaurant, who was not only extremely friendly but also helpful with recommendations and who described the dishes with passion. The table was already set with water and traditional Thai cups and we started by ordering soft drinks whilst we decided on food.
I have to note the restaurant itself is stunning, modern, classy and intimate. There is plenty of seating, but I didn't feel cramped and could hold conversation with ease. Decor wise the vibe is trendy without being overdone and still retains elements of traditional Thai culture. With gorgeous mood lighting, soft contemporary background music, subtle room fragrance and an edgy black and red colour scheme the whole feel was perfect for a romantic date or special event meal. It is honestly one of the best fitted out eateries I have been to in a while.
For entree we went with a two person serve of the special entree platter. This dish came with vegetable samosas, spring rolls, fish cakes, chicken satays and mini chicken drumsticks on a bed of crunchy cabbage, garnished with spring onions. I started with the spring roll, it was perfectly crunchy and filled with a well balanced, generous amount of vegetables, noodles and herbs. Next up, the drumstick.. so much flavour, no greasiness and a slightly crispy skin, I could have easily eaten a whole plate of these. The samosa would rate as the best I've had in Adelaide based solely on the light as air, golden, crunchy pastry, but the filling was thick, chunky and delicious as well. My friend loved the satays. The chicken was grilled with no heavy or greasy crumbing, a refreshing change from satay you get at other places whilst the sauce was thick with a really true creamy peanut flavour. My favourite item was most definitely the fish cake though, it was so 'meaty' in texture with complex, but extremely fresh red curry flavours. I would love a recipe for these because they would make an amazing lunch dish with a huge salad!
For main my friend ordered the chicken larb and the pepper, egg, chicken fried rice. Now, my friend is a bit Thai food mad and judges the quality of any Thai restaurant on their rendition of the chicken larb. HypnoTHAIzed's version passed muster with flying colours! Described as 'amazing' the dish was flavourful, super light, well balanced, and generously sized.
I'm no big fan of fried rice, I tend to find it too heavy and overpowering as a side. This version, recommended as a good complement to our other dishes by the owner, has won me over though! No excessive oil, so many tender, juicy chicken pieces, fluffy, perfectly cooked rice and a unique flavour that made it shine high above your usual fried rice seasoning. This is certainly a winning dish on the menu, and one worth trying if you visit.
My choice of main was the basil vegetable stir fry with chicken. This dish was really what made the night for me, I wanted something substantial but not heavy, and a good kick of chilli, this was all that plus some. The chicken was succulent and well cooked, all of the vegetables were still crispy with a good bite to them (not frozen mix) whilst the combo of basil and chilli was distinct yet perfectly balanced to complement not overpower the protein and vegetables. A really good serving size that was just the right amount for me, it could easily be shared with a side however if you were not as hungry. I would most certainly order this dish again without hesitation.
I also ordered a side of white rice, just like the fried rice it was cooked perfectly. Each mouthful presented me with fluffy, soft and separated grains of carb-filled goodness.
I was really impressed with this local family run restaurant, great pricing, unique, extremely well executed and delicious food and just to top it off fantastic service. The venue is stunning, and I'd have to say they've made their way on my list of favourite places to eat. My friend was also majorly impressed. I grabbed a take away menu for hubby, and guarantee a revisit in the future (if only to try the amazing range of desserts they had but we were just too full for). If you are looking for something out of town, with great food and passionate, old fashioned service give this place a shot, I'm sure they'll make it a night to remember.



No comments:
Post a Comment