Friday, 29 May 2015

Tony Tomatos and Milkaholic

Okay, so this post has been sitting in my drafts for far, far too long. Time to get back on the 'updating the blog once a week' train. Starting with this review of Tony Tomatoes and Milkaholic.



I love Ruby Red Flamingo, and Tony Tomatos is run by the same amazing people. This restaurant on O'Connell Street has a pretty big reputation for serving up some of Adelaide's best pizzas and I was very excited to finally have an opportunity to try them out. We arrived really early, the restaurant was empty apart from two other small groups, however it did get very, very busy just as we were leaving so I'd recommend allowing plenty of time if you don't have a booking. The restaurant itself was fantastic, modern and clean with tables spaced well and a very light, welcoming feel. Service was friendly and knowledgeable and we were quickly seated and provided with some totally addictive complementary green olives.


For entree we ordered the lamb skewers (which aren't on the current menu). The meat was juicy, tender and had a really great char-grill flavour. The dressing on the small side salad was also amazing! We decided to share a pizza for main, and went with the 'Tony in Beijing' on a classic base (Tony's has several base options, including a wholemeal version). This pizza was a combination of basil pesto, mozzarella, roasted duck, capsicum, goats cheese and cos lettuce. The pizza arrived around ten minutes after our entree, and was hot and jam packed with plenty of toppings. The crust was perfection, no sogginess in sight, it was crispy but not burnt and had a soft, fluffy and slight chewy denseness that has given me a new found love of a thicker crust (I am usually a thin crust girl). The toppings were generous but well balanced and there was no excessive oiliness. The duck was divine, tender and full of flavour from an Asian inspired sticky glaze. The cos was an interesting addition, but it really made this pizza unique and complemented the rest of the toppings well, adding a fresh, crispy texture. 


Overall verdict? Tony's currently has my heart for favourite pizza in Adelaide! The range is interesting and fun and the flavours unique and delicious but it was the base that captured my taste buds, it was exactly how I think a pizza base should be! It is on the high end price wise for pizza, but honestly you are getting what you pay for, authentic, high quality food made with passion.  

Tony Tomatoes on Urbanspoon


Post dinner we headed to Milkaholic in Norwood, this little dessert place has been on my list for so long it was finally time to tick them off! The decor is cutesy and kitsch with tables running down a narrow room with some very romantic mood lighting. The outside area was also really cool, spacious and perfect for group gatherings.


This place has been on the croissant x donut craze for as long as they have been a 'thing' so it seemed only right to try out their rendition, the 'Kronut'. However, there was a slight dilemma... they have a nutella and a peanut butter version and given I may have a slight, tiny, minor addiction to both of these delicious food products I could not decide what I wanted. The lovely people at Milkaholic were happy to help me out and let me order the peanut butter Kronut with homemade salted caramel and peanut butter ice cream with the addition of nutella! And so my dear readers I was presented with this stunning sugar coma inducing master piece....


This dessert was my nirvana on a plate. The Kronut was cinnamony, flaky and doughy... I'd say leaning towards more donut than croissant. Served warm and topped with a creamy, smooth ice cream that had a really distinct peanut butter kick it was finished off with generous servings of peanut butter, super thick sweet-salty caramel and plenty of my most loved kryptonite...nutella. I loved this dessert, so simple but very well excused and certainly good value for money. I would definitely return for this dish alone. We also shared the special of the night which was a waffle fondue. This was again a very simple dish, a crisp fluffy waffle  with fresh strawberries and bananas, HUGE squishy marshmallows and a pot of melted chocolate. The waffle was great (although it would have been easier if it was already cut up) and the fruit was all fresh and sweet. The marshmallows were actually the best I've had served with a fondue (I'm not sure if they are house-made but these were not the usual Pascall's that you often get at other dessert places) The chocolate itself wasn't bad, it wasn't high end chocolate like at St Louise, or a thick rich chocolate like San Churros but it wasn't too watery or syrupy either. Overall a good dish, not mind blowing and maybe a little overpriced for a special and it's serving size.


I'm glad I finally tried out Milkaholic, the menu is made up of simple desserts but they are done well and the staff are super friendly and accommodating. I would certainly return here for a group outing in the summer to use the outside area  (or with the sister and her friends, this place seems perfect for a group of giggling teenagers!) and plan to return to try out the brunch menu in the future! 

Milkaholic Dessert and Breakfast Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment