After dinner at Outback Jack's I headed to American Candy Stand Cupcake Cafe with a friend for dessert. My first visit here was great and I was looking forward to trying out a few more of the sweet items from the menu. When we arrived we were the only people there and the waitress was super bubbly and friendly and happy to chat with us :) We started by ordering a serve of red velvet pancakes to share along with a vanilla almond tea for me and a flat white for my friend. The waitress let us know there would be a wait on the pancakes as they take a bit longer to cook then normal pancakes, not that this worried me we were in no rush and it was nice to know they were being freshly made and not reheated. My tea was really nice, it was Dilmah branded and a flavour I hadn't had before. It was sweet with a really clear almond taste and a vanilla undertone that wasn't overpowering. My friend reported that the coffee was good as well.
When the pancakes arrived they looked super dense, but biting into them they were fluffy and light. They had a clear red velvet taste and just the right amount of ice-cream and cream so they weren't drowning or dry. These were certainly a tasty twist on the humble pancake and very 'moreish'. My friend (who has a soft spot for red velvet flavoured food) described them as amazing :)
After our pancakes we decided to try out two cupcakes, the new blueberry pancake with maple frosting and the black bottom cupcake, a chocolate cake with a cheesecake filling, chocolate ganache top, frosted with a cream cheese frosting with mini choc chips.
The blueberry pancake was amazing. It had a really strong maple syrup, buttery pancake flavour, I felt like I was eating MacDonald's pancakes in cupcake form! The blueberries in the centre cut through the sweetness and gave the cupcake a nice textural difference whilst the cake itself was fluffy and moist.
The black bottom cupcake was a rich chocolate cake with a mud cake like texture. It was decadently rich but the frosting and cheesecake filling cut through it so it wasn't sickeningly sweet. The chocolate buttons in the frosting also added a really nice textural difference to this cupcake. This cake certainly had that 'oh my god I've gone to food heaven' factor to it in terms of taste.
Both cupcakes were certainly winners! Unusual flavour combinations and great cakes. This place certainly makes a killer icing, I'd have to say my favourite in Adelaide, it's rich, yet fluffy without being at all sickening. I could unashamedly eat several of these in one sitting! Great friendly service again even though we came in only 40 minutes before close. This place is one that I think everyone should try out at least once, both the savoury and sweet food is unique and spot on in terms of quality and taste. There's a few more cupcake flavours I'm keen on trying and plan to be back here for dinner and dessert in the very near future :)





No comments:
Post a Comment