Since my first visit to San Churro I hadn't been able to stop thinking abut trying out the 'signature' chocolate cake I had seen in the cabinet. This week I was finally able to head in with hubby and a friend to try it out! The place was really busy, we were able to get seating easily enough but service was slower than last time. We also had to place our order at the counter, however some people were getting table service so it was a little confusing. To start with we decided to order two of the new chocoroons! These are basically a macaron dipped in chocolate, and in all honesty tasted as good as they sound! We tried the peanut butter and lamington flavours. The peanut butter was good, a fluffy, chewy macaron which was much nicer than on our last visit with a strong peanut butter taste. The lamington was the stand out though, with a decent filling of cream and jam it was like a chewy macaron version of a wagon wheel. The chocolate on both macaroons was smooth and creamy, not the most amazing chocolate in the wold but certainly not bad. I haven't seen chocoroons elsewhere so these are pretty unique, they are certainly delicious and I'd recommend any macaron lover giving them a try.
After these our desserts came out. I ordered the 'signature' chocolate cake with added melted white chocolate whilst hubby went with the banana sundae, Now, when I ordered said slice of cake I wasn't expecting the mountainously huge slab of chocolate heaven that I was presented with. I'm not exaggerating when I say this piece of cake was worth three slices of cake anywhere else, it was epically huge. The cake itself consisted of two cake layers, a chocolate mousse layer, a caramel fudge type layer and a thick chocolate ganache icing. The cake was amazing, one of the best slices of cake I've had in my life, it was rich, decadent and indulgent and the white chocolate complemented it perfectly. The cake was moist, the mousse creamy and rich, the caramel was gooey and thick and the layers were perfectly proportioned as to not overwhelm each other. Heaven in cake form despite the crazy amount of calories. I have to admit.. I ate every single bit..not sure how I was struggling at halfway but it was just too good to not eat it all. If you're not a big eater I'd highly recommend sharing this or requesting a small slice.
Hubby's sundae was a combination of chocolate ice cream, melted milk chocolate, banana and 3 mini churros. The ice-cream was nice, creamy and smooth and the churros were crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside without being oily. Hubby was pretty happy with this, although as far as sundae goes it wasn't super unique in any way.
Unbelievably we also managed a chocolate shake each (I fear my stomach may be a bottomless pit!) Hubby went with the Mocha Mambo (vanilla ice-cream, chocolate and espresso) which he enjoyed but thought could have done with a little more coffee flavour. I was torn between the Crema Y Fresa (white chocolate, real strawberries and vanilla ice cream) and the Mint Macarena (mint, dark choc chips, white chocolate and vanilla ice cream) however ended up going with the mint. It was a good choice to cut through the richness of my cake with a clear and refreshing mint flavour. Both shakes were served with plenty of whipped cream and were definitely more thick shake then milkshake in texture, I'm certainly going to try the strawberry one on my next visit.
Again a great visit to San Churros, this restaurant chain continues to impress me. Despite being busy we didn't wait to long for our food, it was all served at the same time with no waiting between drinks and desserts and despite our pretty big order everything was as requested (it's a personal pet hate of mine when your receive your drinks 5-10 minutes after your food). The waitresses were all friendly and were happy to chat to us about the different chocoroon flavours despite being under the pump with the number of customers in the store which was nice and speaks volumes of the standard of customer service here.



.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment