Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Ky Chow & American Cupcake Diner

I met some amazing people working at the Garden of Unearthly Delights and this dinner at Ky Chow was with one of those people, sadly they have jetsetted back to America since then. I've eaten at Ky Chow before and have never been disappointed, and this occasion was no different. We arrived in peak dining period on Friday night with no booking (not a smart move if you’re looking for a Gouger Street eatery...rookie mistake on my behalf) however the staff at Ky Chow found us a table really quickly. Even better at no point did they rush us to free up the space despite being crazy busy the whole time we were there. After just the right amount of menu pondering time an efficient and friendly waiter took our order of two entrees, two mains, a vegetable dish and a serve of rice to share.

First up we had the shallot pancakes. This are a little bit of a favourite of mine at Chinese restaurants and these were spot on. Crispy, golden, not oily and plenty of shallot flavour. These were also perfectly portioned for a 3-4 person group to share.

 
Next up were the Chinese buns, we ordered a serve steamed and a serve fried. This are also one of my go to menu items at a Chinese restaurant. Both versions were cooked well, the steamed one was soft and fluffy with a slightly sticky texture whilst the fried had a crackly golden crust that gave way to a pillowy soft centre. The bun itself had just the right amount of sweetness and was a great side dish for our other meals, although my co-diners were surprised they didn’t have a meat filling.
 
We ordered a large serve of special fried rice and a serve of the Chinese green vegetables. Again, both staple dishes at any Chinese restaurant and both done well by Ky Chow. The fried rice wasn’t oily and had a good balance of meat/eggs/vegetables and was a generous serve that was just the right amount for the three of us (it would have served four… but I'm bulking ;). the vegetables still had a slight crunch to them and the sauce had a good balance of slaty/garlicky flavour without being overpowering.
 
 
For our 'main'' dishes we chose the crispy honey chicken and the sizzling beef with ginger. I had never had crispy honey chicken before so I can’t say how 'good' Ky Chows version is in comparison to other places but I LOVED this dish. So much sweet, sticky crunchy, crispy goodness! I literally could have devoured the whole plate. The beef was a little slow on arriving (I did ask if it was on its way...I suspect it may have been forgotten however it was quick to arrive after my query) it was certainly sizzling and again was the perfect portion for three to share. The flavour balance was good; the meat was tender however I personally found the dish a little soggy texture wise. Not a bad dish, but not an outstanding one.
Ky Chow certainly provided us with a great meal, quick and friendly service and good value for money. There was a slight hiccup with one of the mains but it was resolved quickly and with no dramas. Overall I really enjoyed this meal, and would certainly return to Ky Chow again. If you’re looking food a good Chinese place that covers the basics well I’d recommend here.
Ky Chow on Urbanspoon

 
For dessert we headed to the American Cupcake Diner at Norwood. If you read my blog you will be aware that I adore this place and this visit was just as great as all the others. I went with the strawberry Nutella waffle turnover. As you can see it was pure sugar epicness on a plate, I loved every single mouthful! Perfectly light crunchy golden waffles, a very, very generous serve of Nutella, juicy, ripe strawberries and plenty of whipped cream and ice-cream. A fantastic way to finish off the night. In all honesty I really think that if you like your desserts and American food this is a MUST visit diner (if I had my way it would be a must visit for me on a weekly basis!)
American Cupcake Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment