Sunday, 21 September 2014

All About Oats!


So I have a lot of people ask me how I cook my oats... so here is a step by step for a sweet version, but I'll add notes for what you change to make them savoury :) By cooking them this way I get double the volume, which is important for someone like me who likes to eat a lot ;)

Base Ingredients:
45grams rolled oats
1 medium zucchini (around 160-180grams)
2 large egg whites (around 60grams)
3/4 almond milk
water as needed

Add ins for this version:
Banana
Strawberries
Cocoa Powder
Stevia
Cookie Spread
Caramel Mini Slice



Step 1: Measure out your oats in a mediumish saucepan


Step 2: Grate zucchini and add to oats


Step 3: Add cocoa and stevia (if you were doing savoury you would add in herbs/garlic/salt etc here)


Step 4: Add in 3/4 almond milk. If mix seems to dry add a little water. As the zucchini cooks it releases moisture so I tend to start with just the almond milk then add water as it cooks to keep the mix 'loose'


Step 5: Bring to boil then turn down to simmer for five minutes


Step 6: Cut up fruit (prep savoury .e drain tuna/cut up chicken/ham/measure cheese) I use half of my fruit to cook in and half for toppings, measure out egg whites.


Step 7: Add in chopped fruit to oats (for savoury add your protein.. e.g chicken but not the cheese!) simmer for another 5 minutes add water as needed. If you need to hit more protein in this meal I'd add protein powder here as well.


Step 8: Whisk egg whites using electric beaters until super fluffy


Step 9: Cut up/prep toppings



Step 10: At the end of the five minutes it should be sort of gluggy and thick but not dry (if doing savoury add your cheese now!) Add in egg whites


Step 11: Whisk, whisk whisk!


Step 12: When combined put into a bowl, add toppings and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment