Sosta Argentinian Kitchen
Craving a good steak I headed into the CBD to try out Sosta Argentinian Kitchen on Rundle Street. This restaurant is on the higher end of dining in Adelaide, but is comparatively priced to the other steak/Argentinian restaurants around town. We had booked a table for 6.30pm and when we arrived the restaurant was relatively quiet, however it quickly filled up as we enjoyed our meal. The restaurant has a lovely ambiance, modern yet rustic with low lighting, exposed brick and unique prints/art adorning the walls. The tables were well spaced and the background music set the mood without interfering with conversation. Upon arriving we were shown to our table and napkins placed on our lap, there were complementary olives on the table which were fresh, juicy and well marinated, a nice little touch. Our waiter was attentive and friendly and happy to answer our questions about the dishes and drinks. We started by ordering a bottle of sparkling water while we looked over the menu.
Our waiter returned within a suitable time frame, not too quick to feel pressured but not so long we felt forgotten. We started by ordering the ciabatta along with some drinks. I ordered one of the cocktails, the 'What's Your Name? What's Your Number?' a combination of Havana Club Blanco, Malibu, Mango Liqueur, Midori, fresh strawberries, lime, lemon and orange. The drinks arrived within 5 minutes and my cocktail, which was a combination I hadn't tried before, was fantastic. It had a great balance between the citrus and alcohol, not too overpowering but certainly still packing a punch. The strawberries were sweet and it was a really well made drink. Our bread was brought out shortly after, the four thick slices of ciabatta were warm, with a crusty-yet chewy exterior and a pillow soft centre. The olive oil it was served with was outstanding, a really dark garden colour and a subtle rosemary undertone in flavour. This was definitely bread worth paying for.
For mains I ordered the bife de lomo (Teys beef fillet marinated and charcoal grilled) whilst my friend went with the bife Ancho (Angus pure local grass-fed Scotch fillet marinated and charcoal grilled) both medium rare. All of the steaks here come with a side of crispy fried potatoes. We also ordered a side of Champinones al horno (Swiss brown mushrooms oven roasted with rosemary, sage, garlic then gratinated with parmigiano, bread crumbs and dressed with balsamic vinegar). Our meals arrived within fifteen minutes or so after we had finished our bread and all items were brought out at the same time. Big tick from me as I have a pet hate for meals being half served or one person being served before the other. My steak was generously sized, certainly not any less then the advertised weight, being a fillet I expected this would have minimal fat and that's exactly what I was presented with. The outside of the meat had clear and distinct grill marks and there was just the right amount of marinade/sauce drizzled over the meat to complement rather than overpower it. The sauce itself was garlicky and slightly creamy. Upon cutting into my steak I was impressed with how perfectly it was cooked... I don't think you could get a more text book rendition of medium rare. The meat was melt in you mouth tender, juicy and an absolute delight to eat.
My friend's steak was just as good, having the same char grilled perfection and delicious sauce. This steak was slightly more on the medium side then mine but not overdone. The fat in this just melted away in your mouth and had a really clean, grilled flavour rather then being greasy or 'fatty'.
The potatoes were presented on a platter to share, and the portion size was really generous for two people. Very moreish, these were perfectly golden, crispy and crunchy on the outside, but soft, fluffy and cooked through on the inside. The seasoning had a paprika tone but I think that these could have done with just a little more salt (I do like A LOT of salt though, so this is more a personal preference thing rather than criticism).
The last dish of the evening was the mushrooms, and these were an absolute standout. The large swiss mushrooms were tender, still slightly firm, no sogginess and still juicy when bitten into. The topping was golden with a slight crunch and a distinct rosemary sage flavour that complemented the cheese and mushrooms perfectly. Well seasoned and well cooked the whole dish was surprisingly light, and when paired with the steak was heaven to eat. One of my favourite mushroom dishes to date.
This was a fantastic meal, from service to food quality I really couldn't fault my experience here. The chef obviously knows how to cook, demonstrating an ability to showcase the quality ingredients used at the restaurant, The staff were all lovely, the vibe classy and elegant but still welcoming rather than stuffy. This restaurant is one to head to when you want amazing food, great atmosphere and really want to impress. Price wise it is on the higher end of the scale, however the food is most certainly worth it. I would say one of the best cooked steaks I've had in Adelaide I would return here for a special occasion dinner without hesitation.
Steven ter Horst
After Sosta we wandered up the road to Steven ter Horst for some indulgent chocolate goodness. This place still holds a warm place in my heart from when they were based out on Unley Road, where I experienced one of my all time favourite desserts in Adelaide the Hazelnut Heaven (which wasn't available on this visit). The new premises at Rundle are much more spacious then the Unley store, and better showcase the stunning range of chocolates and retail products. The decor is similar, rustic wood, a modern feel, comfortable and airy. Service here is always fantastic, the staff are crazy friendly, especially the guy who usually works nights (he wears glasses but I always forget to grab his name) he is always happy to chat, remembers me from previous visits and makes great chocolate recommendations!
For drinks we ordered a flat white and an affogato. Both were brought out quickly and made well, the flat white had a excellent crema, robust flavour and no bitterness. I had the affogato, and honestly the ice cream in this was epically good. It was obviously not an out of the tub deal... with vanilla bean specks throughout it was creamy, smooth and the flavour was a true vanilla. The espresso shot was strong, no bitterness and at the perfect temperature to slightly soften but not completely melt the ice cream. A coffee/ice cream addicts nirvana in a jar.
For my dessert I ordered the lemon lust. I had been eyeing this one off for a while, and tonight it was the perfect way to end my meal. Described as a combination of lemon mousse, almond praline cream, cocoa sponge with a crunchy chocolate caramel base this was light and refreshing yet still sweet and indulgent. The mousse was fluffy, smooth and creamy with a tart but well balanced lemon taste. The base was crunchy but still sliceable with the side of a fork whilst the centre held a gooey, sweet caramel centre that provided depth and texture to the gateaux. If your a lemon fan or looking for a lighter option I would definitely give this one a try.
My friend ordered the Nuts about Chocolate, which was a chocolate and almond base, hazelnut daquoise, chocolate cream, chocolate Chantilly coated in milk chocolate with almonds. This was a very pretty gateaux, even when sliced. My friend described this as being rich with a good balance of chocolate and nut flavourings. My small taste confirmed that this is one for the chocolate lovers, with a indulgent thick smooth cream which was balanced with a lighter hazelnut flavoured mousse.
Another great dessert experience at Steven ter Horst, but honestly not surprising given this local chocolatier is one of the shining stars of high quality, made with passion dessert/chocolate in Adelaide. Service was great as always, food was delicious as always and I left with a chocolate hedgehog... as always ;)



No comments:
Post a Comment