Sunday, 21 July 2013

Wasai Japanese Kitchen

I had never had sushi until about a month ago, when a combination of rave reviews from friends and a high rating on urbanspoon led me to Wasai Japanese Kitchen to give raw fish a try. I didn't review my first visit, I enjoyed the food and experience so much I didn't even think of taking photos or critically thinking about the food! So two weeks ago I headed back with a friend for dinner after craving sushi the whole week. The fact that I really wasn't sure I was going to like sushi and then couldn't stop thinking about it kind of sums up how great Wasai is :)

The restaurant has a great feel about it, it is clean and modern and the service is efficient even though they are really busy.  They bring a menu immediately, along with the specials list and give you enough time to ponder them before placing your order without feeling rushed or forgotten. They also provide free edamame which is a nice touch. I ordered a lime soda bitters as well as a green tea for my drinks, whilst my friend has the house Sake. The tea was one of the better green teas I've had in a while, light with a clean taste. Friend's Sake was poured into a small glass in a little wooden box until it overflowed, neither of us had any idea how you were supposed to drink it :/  google said drink from the glass then the box.


For food we ordered the $33 sushi boat, the same as what was ordered the first visit here. Great value for money and the right amount of food for two people, I was super full after eating my share both times. I have no idea on which specific sushi is included, but my favourite is the one with the orange dusting, so tasty! I also love the pickled ginger. Everything is super fresh, the fish is clean tasting and not slimy. My friend ordered a fried chicken dish for entree, I tried a small piece, it was tasty but didn't blow me away, but I'm not a super fried food fan. The sauce it came with was really good though, I ended up dipping some of my sushi into it.




Wasai is definitely now one of my favourite places to eat, with good service, good pricing and really really good food. It certainly lives up to its reputation as being the best Japanese in Adelaide.

Wasai Japanese Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment