Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Belgian Beer Cafe Oostende, Sir Cafe and Fumo Blu

Belgian Beer Cafe Oostende

I headed into Rundle Street a few weeks ago with no plan on where I was going to eat that night and after browsing the menu of most of the restaurants along the street we decided that the Belgian Beer Cafe would be our pick of the evening. This cafe has a traditional Belgium theme from decor to food, and is most well known for it's huge range of speciality beers and ciders. When I first started University (and before my health issues) this pub was one I frequented for Saturday night drinks, but I had never actually eaten here. The place was really busy but they were able to get us a table in the restaurant area straight away. The waitress was really chirpy and attentive and was able to answer all of our questions about the specials and standard menu with ease. For my meal I ordered the fillet steak with blue swimmer crab cake, crispy prosciutto and jus and my friend ordered the chicken breast filled with chorizo, smoked mozzarella and basil served with saffron buttered kipflers and tomato couli. Unfortunately they didn't have the recommended beer for my friend's meal but the waitress checked what else would complement whilst I went with a sparkling water. There was a longer then usual wait for our meals, however the restaurant was jam packed and we could see the kitchen was flat out (they have an open view kitchen). When the meals arrived they were certainly worth the wait. My steak was a generously sized piece of meaty heaven, it was absolutely perfectly cooked to medium rare as requested, was juicy, tender and melted in my mouth. The crab cake was made with real crab meat and reminded me so much of the real British crab cakes I used to eat in the UK both in taste and texture. The prosciutto was crunchy but not burnt and the jus was complex and rich but did not overpower the dish. My friend's meal was just as good, the chicken breast was succulent and juicy and was served with  side of, as well as filled with, a delicious spicy chorizo. There was a good amount of cheese and the potatoes were seasoned well and crispy. 

The food here was of extremely high quality and cooked well. It is on the slightly pricey side but I think that the food was good enough to warrant the cost. We didn't try either of the signature dishes (mussels and fries) but after seeing other people enjoying them I definitely plan to go back to! The vibe here was busy and vibrant however the venue doesn't feel cramped even when full. The service was spot on and all the staff were helpful and friendly despite the busyness. If you are looking for a good meal in the city consider giving the Belgian Beer Cafe a go, but I'd recommend making a booking as they appear to get really busy.

Belgian Beer Cafe Oostende on Urbanspoon

Sir Cafe

After dinner we headed to Sir Cafe for dessert. This is my second visit (see the first one here) and I was hoping this one would be just as good. We were lucky enough to get the only free table and were given menus to look at. They have expanded the desserts they have on offer since the last time I was here but in all honestly I knew exactly what I wanted to order before even heading in, the honey toast cube! We were going to order two to try but the waiter said it would be a lot of food so we opted to instead share one honey toast as well as the green tea cheesecake. Were were served our drinks first (a green tea and a flat white which both came with a crisp and tasty berry flavoured meringue) followed shortly after by the cheesecake. We were told there was a little wait on the cube as they are cooked to order. The cheesecake had a really unique texture, I wouldn't say it was at all like a traditional cheesecake it was fluffier and slightly more powdery. I'd describe it as a cross between a mousse and a sponge cake. The green taste was very obvious but not overpowering, whilst the green tea ice-cream was certainly the best I've had, it was creamy with no powdery clumps and whilst having a distinct savoury green tea taste was still sweet. The raspberry sauce was certainly a good complement to the dish as well. Not long after we finished the cheesecake we were brought our chocolate banana honey toast cube. I'm glad we went with one to share because these are on the largish side for a dessert. The dish was made up of two very thick slices of sweet honey toast that were hollowed out and filled with bananas, a custard type cream, fruit and chocolate topping then restuffed with the removed bread cubes. It's all topped off with ice-cream, sauce and fruit. I really loved this dessert, it was certainly unique, very moreish and well balanced, each ingredient was just enough to complement the others. This is the only place in Adelaide I am aware of that you can get this and I HIGHLY recommend going and trying one out. They are super delicious despite inducing a minor carb coma.

I really like Sir Cafe, the dishes are all pretty unique, the service is good and I love the funky decor. If you looking for a late night sugar fix in the city that's on the more quirky side definitely try them out. 

Sir Cafe on Urbanspoon

Fumo Blu

A short and sweet review of Fumo Blu as we only had one drink each here before dinner, however this place has always been my favourite for cocktails in Adelaide. The service is always excellent, the staff are friendly and chatty and every single cocktail I've had has been mixed to perfection. On this occasion I had something with the word garden in it (hopelessly forgetful) which was a mix of watermelon, cranberry and strawberry whilst my friend had the signature Blu Smoke (whiskey based). At the time we were the only people there (they had just opened) so we had the full attention of the staff and they were super lovely! Our drinks were both delicious, mine had just the right balance of fruit so that it wasn't too sweet or overpowered by the alcohol whist my friend's had a really distinct whiskey flavour. The place decor wise is pure love for me, dimly blue lit booths, giant fish tank and high top bar tables and stools. If your looking for a funky, down to earth cocktail bar this is it, they've been around for a good while now and certainly know how to make an excellent drink.

(Please excuse the lack of photos, my phone is broken. I will update as soon as I have them)


No comments:

Post a Comment