I have been itching to try Coffee Barun for a while now and was finally able to get there for my post swim breakfast last week, and I am so glad I did! As with my other recent breakfast reviews the place was pretty quiet as it was a weekday, but it is a larger restaurant and I'd say you wouldn't wait too long on a weekend to get a table. We headed in and grabbed menus from the front counter, we chose our seats and pondered on what we were going to order. At the Barun you place your order at the counter and there are bottles of water and cups to help yourself to. The restaurant is clean and modern with wooden bench seating as well as tables. There is a heap of coffee making/grinding equipment around which is interesting to look at plus it's functional as they grind beans on site (this place is said to have some of the best coffee in Adelaide). The staff here were all friendly, helpful and willing and capable of easily answering questions about different menu items. For drinks my co-diner ordered a flat white whilst I went with a green tea. My friend said the coffee was really good, rich with a deep complex flavour. My tea was nice and although the teapot looked small it filled three cups, it was like a bottomless Alice in Wonderland teapot.
Food wise my friend ordered the mushroom duo with chorizo. This dish was served with a thick piece of ciabatta and two chorizo sausages, a ton of rocket and a generous portion of mixed mushrooms in a sour cream sauce. The chorizo on this dish was outstanding, a real traditional small goods type of chorizo with a good balance of fat and meat and a good spice kick that wasn't too hot. They were also really well cooked, the skin was slightly chewy whilst the meat was soft and tender. The mushrooms were juicy and full of flavour and there was just the right amount of sour cream not to overpower them, a unique dish that was really tasty.
I went for something a little different to my usual type of breakfast order, a smoked salmon omelette with ciabatta toast. I usually avoid omelettes because I often find that they are either 1) too small 2) under filled or 3) really badly cooked. The Barun's version was absolutely none of these things. The omelette was huge and fluffy with just the right amount of crispiness around the edges. It wasn't oily or soggy and there was certainly plenty of filling. The salmon was real flaked salmon with a deep smokey taste (not the packaged, sliced kind), there was just the right amount of cream cheese and spring onions and the sticky balsamic on the side just topped it off. I would say that it might be the best breakfast omelette I've had at a restaurant.
When my friend ordered our food we spotted these white chocolate raspberry muffins on the kitchen counter (the Barun has an open style kitchen) and could in no way resist. After we had finished our mains we ordered one to share, baked on site I tell no lies when I say these were fresh from the oven. The muffin itself was still warm and the white chocolate oozy and gooey. Cutting into the muffin there were raspberries right the way through which were perfectly sweet-tart whilst the cake was fluffy, moist and very moreish. I was super impressed that the cakes are made on site and we were able to get something so fresh on a Monday morning.
I really, really enjoyed breakfast at the Barun. The vibe was relaxed and casual, the food epically good and everything was so fresh and high quality. They support South Australian companies as well which I think is a bonus! I would highly recommend trying out the Barun for breakfast, lunch or a quick coffee and cake they won't disappoint!






No comments:
Post a Comment