Thursday, 12 December 2013

Swedish Tarts Semaphore

Over the last couple of weeks I have been to Swedish Tarts Semaphore a couple of times, on the first two occasions I had the mushroom flatbread and the last the Swedish flatbread. The cafe itself is always busy and there is a huge range of breakfast/brunch type foods as well as pastry and cakes. I've tried a few of the sweet items here and have always been impressed, good home style cooked cakes and tarts that really remind me of my nan's baking, however the flatbreads are really what keep me coming back. Both versions I have tried were absolutely delicious, and to be honest I think the bread is what makes these so damn addictive for me. I would describe it as kind of like a naan bread, its fluffy and light with a slightly chewy texture, and there is something really moreish about them. On both occasions they have been toasted perfectly to retain softness but give them a slight crunch and warm them through. Both versions were generously filled, the mushroom was a combination of grilled mushrooms, spinach, fetta and spanish onion whilst the Swedish had smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, spinach and spanish onion. Of the two the mushroom was definitely my favourite, the fetta was really creamy and despite being vegetable based it was very filling and 'meaty'. The salmon version was much lighter, more of a lunch dish then the mushroom one, there was plenty of fresh salmon but I think it could of done with a little bit more cream cheese. On the occasion I had the Swedish flatbread my friend tried the tandoori chicken flatbread, this was filled with a very well spiced chicken, yoghurt sauce, coriander, cucumber and onion. The sauce had a true tandoori paste flavour and the chicken was cooked well, overall a nice combination.

If you are at Semaphore and looking for a filling but light meal try out the flatbreads at Swedish Tarts, they are definitely one of my go to cafes on Semaphore Road. The only criticism I have is on all occasions my English Breakfast tea was very, very bitter, I think it may be the brand they use so next time I'm just going to stick to water or try one of their juices which look fantastic (and have come highly recommended by my sister who eats here all of the time).

(Again, missing photos- will update as soon as I have them)

Swedish Tarts Patisserie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment